Marti Arvin, CynergisTek’s Vice President of Audit Strategy, will be co-presenting a session at the upcoming AHLA AMC Conference, occurring on January 25th and 26th in Arlington, Virginia.
Traps, Tricks, and Trepidation in HIPAA and FERPA Compliance at Universities and AMCs
Marti Arvin, Vice President of Audit Strategy, CynergisTek, Inc.
Kristin H. West, Associate V.P. Research & Director, Emory University Office of Research Compliance
This session will be presented twice on Friday, January 26th – 10:15 to 11:15 am and again from 1:45 to 2:45 pm.
Overview of Presentation:
- Determining whether a university is a hybrid entity and what the “covered components” are that must comply with HIPAA.
- Correct HIPAA “relationships” between the university’s covered components, the affiliated AMC, and the affiliated faculty practice plan or physician groups, including when an affiliated covered entity (ACE) or an organized health care arrangement (OHCA) is appropriate.
- Areas of vulnerability in HIPAA compliance resulting from the university-AMC-faculty practice plan relationships, including:
- When business associate agreements are needed between the entities.
- “Co-employment arrangements” when physicians are employees of the university when performing research and employees of the AMC/faculty practice plan when performing clinical care.
- Controlling faculty and student access to health information for research.